R.A.S.

Members Login Join Us

ROMAN ANTIQUITIES SECTION


Gazetteer of ROMAN  Yorkshire
Military Settlements Roads Miscellaneous Villas Roads
Interactive Roman Yorkshire Map Help Using Gazetteer
Web design by Mike Haken

Home

About RAS

Roman Remains

Gazetteer of Roman Yorkshire

Links & Resources

Contact Us

YAS Website

The villa lies on the east bank of the River Riccall, between Helmsley and the village of Beadlam. And was discovered in 1966 although roman artifacts had been found on the site in 1928. Excavations in 1969 revealed two buildings at right angles to each other, suggesting the presence of an east wing and a central courtyard. Although only the north range is now visible above ground, measuring some 35m by 7.6m, parchmarks of both the west and east wings can sometimes be seen on aerial photos, and the east wing was partially excavated in 1972.

Coin finds are from the 2nd to the 4th centuries. A mosaic was removed from the North Range fro restoration with aim to eventually return it to the site

The site is now in the guardianship of English Heritage, and all finds from the site including the mosaic are in the English Heritage Archaeological Store at Helmsley. A report on the excavations is available from YAS for £15 plus p&p.

The site was clearly extensive, and the eventual intention is to excavate and consolidate the entire site.

Beadlam
Villa
N. Yorkshire, SE 6339 8422
Beadlam Villa Pastscape Page External Webpages & Links

Visible Remains: Consolidated Remains

Access: limited

Loading...