R.A.S.

Members Login Join Us

ROMAN ANTIQUITIES SECTION


Gazetteer of ROMAN  Yorkshire
Military Settlements Roads Miscellaneous Villas Roads
Interactive Roman Yorkshire Map Help Using Gazetteer
Web design by Mike Haken

Home

About RAS

Roman Remains

Gazetteer of Roman Yorkshire

Links & Resources

Contact Us

YAS Website

The site of Brantingham Roman villa is found at the other end of the long lane leading south east from the village, known as Brantingham Outgang. First discovered in 1941 when two mosaics were were found at Cockle Pits stone quarry. They were recorded and reburied and removed to Hull Museum in 1948, one disappeared. The discovery of further mosiac remains 70m to the north in 1961 resulted in excavations the following year. These recovered the remains of an exceptionally large room with a tessellated floor, 11.13m x 7.77m, a corridor and the remains of four other rooms, three of which had tessellated floors. Several hut circles visible. A double-ditched linear feature runs north-east to south-west.

English Heritage


Bransby Park
Villa
East Riding, SE 9318 2875
Brantingham Villa Pastscape Page External Webpages & Links

Visible Remains: None

Access: none

Loading...